Pi Day!

Hi there!  I know that it has been years (literally years), but I am back to share some new ideas with you!  I am still teaching 7th grade math, 8th grade math, and Algebra I.

I wanted to start off by sharing what I do to celebrate Pi Day (3/14) with my math students.  It's such a fun day in my classroom.  I start off by having a Pi Quiz/Contest.  Students need to memorize the first two decimal numbers of pi for the quiz.  Everything after that is part of the contest.  It amazes me how many digits some kids can remember!



After that, we derive pi using circular food.  The kids (obviously) love this.  My only rule is that they finish the worksheet BEFORE eating anything.  We use rulers and yarn to measure the diameter and circumference of each food item, then divide to (hopefully) find a number close to pi.  Students do this three times and then write what they observe.  (If you do not want to use food items, you can just use circles.)









I have all the resources I use for Pi Day in my TpT Store:


I also have a bundle containing ALL three items for 33% off (BEFORE the additional 20%):


All Pi Day resources are currently 20% off.  The sale lasts until midnight tonight (3/13/19), so check them out soon!

However you celebrate Pi Day, have fun!

Comments

Popular Posts